For my Stratosphere of Surveillance Midterm I am creating a rationalist speculative fiction regarding the current and plausible future of massive data collection driven by private interests in conjunction with the failures of Capitalism and globalization.
a facsimile of a federal statute, bill, and/or ruling referencing
the 2016 Supreme Court decision which ruled that all data generation qualifies as compensable labor
registered US and multinational corporations doing trade in the United States must submit to regulation by a newly formed body
a speculative JSON file and/or code snippet which shows the infamous 'recursive french braid' architecture which creates a cohesive, stable database for predictive and deep historical modeling through intergenerational tracking of every human on earth.
which would contain an ASCII version of the human-writeable, machine-readable identifier-authenticator tattoo design which references matrilineal descent
the DNA digital data storage translation (the method which converts the information to base code pairs GACT for final storage by oligonucleotide synthesis machines
TYPES OF DATA COLLECTED
- currency is de-anonymized and retains transactional history with ID
- familial relations
- genealogy and historical socioeconomic status
- intergenerational social networks
- dna and epigenetics
- purchases of goods
- credit history
- educational records
- social network sentiment analysis
- endocrine status
- health records
- footstep trajectory
- sleep schedule/circadian rhythm
- sexual relations, schedule, fertility
- familial political sentiment
- information queries (Google, library card history, interpersonal questioning inflected utterances)
- infrared emotional heat mapping
- energy use (various types/via various devices and situations, individually, and in aggregate)
- responses to advertisements and prompts
- emotional responses and interaction patterns to media (movies, texts, music)
HOW DATA IS COLLECTED
Wherever possible data is collected subtly but not surreptitiously
- phone/telecommunication device microphones
- accelerometer and gyroscope
- publicly-situated smart devices equipped with microphones
- man-in-the-middle web traffic routing
- fingerprinting physical monetary tender
- active questioning (voluntary divulgence)
HOW THE DATA IS USED
OTHER LOGISTICAL DETAILS OF WORLD-BUILDING
RESEARCHES + INSPIRATIONS
June 2015 — IBM today sent a letter commending Senators Orrin Hatch and Christopher Murphy for the leadership in advancing legislation that would give non-U.S. citizens greater insight into how their lawfully-collected data is being used and to address errors as they arise.
CAPTIALISM, SEC, LEGAL CODE
IRL EXAMPLES OF UBIQUITOUS DATA COLLECTION SYSTEMS
"LinkNYC is the largest and most advanced outdoor digital advertising platform in the world. As a city-wide network with thousands of screens on top of an Internet and data-rich backbone, brands and organizations have the opportunity to reach both mainstream and hyperlocal audiences in support of a valuable public service [sic: access to the Internet]. This egalitarian new platform blurs the lines between digital and physical, and the opportunities for civic, commercial, and cultural engagement are endless."
"Signals are transmitted from the balloons to a specialized internet antenna mounted to the side of a home or workplace, or directly to LTE-enabled devices. Web traffic that travels through the balloon network is ultimately relayed to our local telecommunications partners' ground stations, where it connects to pre-existing Internet infrastructure."
"The goal of Project Loon is to bring internet access to the 2 out of 3 people who don't have internet access today"